Welcome to another academic year full of potential, promise, and challenges! Your state organization is ramping up to meet you on the road to success in 2017-2018!
As we begin the year, it’s not too soon to be thinking about the professional opportunities available to you and your students through IFLTA.
This year’s conference: Connect, Engage, Inspire: Languages Open Doors will be held on November 2 – 4, 2017 at the Sheraton at Keystone at the Crossing. Dr. Bill Van Patten of Michigan State University will be our keynote speaker. Over 85 sessions in a range of languages and topics will be offered.
Other highlights include:
1. Leadership workshop for teachers looking to serve effectively beyond the classroom and have an impact on their colleagues and the profession!
2. Pre-service and beginning teacher workshop for new teaching professionals.
3. Extended language-specific workshops on Friday.
4. Poster contest for students (Submission deadline of October 1!)
5. Creative projects Contest for students
6. Teacher of the Year and Rising Star Awards
7. Exhibitors, raffles, and more!
8. Attendance Grants for early-career teachers
It’s not too early to check in with your building administrator to start the ball rolling to attend this year’s conference! All the details, conference and hotel registration are available at http://www.iflta.org.
1. For CURRENT MEMBERS (2016-2017 membership), officer elections will be open until SEPTEMBER 10 for Second Vice President and Secretary. You must be a 2016-2017 currently-paid member of IFLTA to be eligible to vote. See the IFLTA website for candidate profiles and to cast a vote.
2. Submissions are welcome for the IFLTA Newsletter. Our new editor Kailey Preston is anxious to include your submission. E-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15 with news and announcements from your classes, student travel experiences and the best from your world language department.
Best of luck to you as 2017-2018 unfolds!!
2017 IFLTA President
Teacher of French
World Language Department Chair
West Lafayette Jr./Sr. High School